Course Content: Concepts of equilibrium, temperature and reversibility. First law and concepts of heat and work; second law and entropy. Equations of state and thermodynamic properties of pure substances. Engineering applications of these principles in the analysis and design of closed and open systems. Thermodynamic analysis of cyclic processes including power generation and refrigeration.
Course Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, the students are expected to:
- Define and distinguish between
- different thermodynamic properties
- heat and work
- Apply first and second laws to solve problems
- In closed systems
- Open systems at steady state
- Open systems under unsteady state conditions
- Estimate thermodynamic properties of ideal and real substances via
- thermodynamic figures,
- thermodynamic tables
- equations of state
- generalized correlations
- Analyze power and refrigeration cycles.